current status update
A few updates:
- I’m heading up to Oregon this weekend for a short visit/work trip. I’ll be seeing my mom, my brother and his girlfriend, and Tammie (she of the Irregular variety)! I am so excited. Last time I met a blog-world friend (Ms. Kate), it went smashingly. I can’t wait to meet Ms. Tammie in real life.
- Sadly, because I am going to be gone this weekend, I can’t submit my painting. Open call is on Sunday, and I will not be here. Terri could submit it for me, but since I don’t know the process, I’d rather do it in person the first time. So, I will just save this painting for us, and do another one for another theme. There’s one in October, I think, that sounds interesting. Dang. Oh well.
- I think we’re almost ready to restart the home search in earnest. Phone calls are being made, locations are being narrowed down, prices seem stable, more houses on the market… it’s exciting but dang, this is taking a long time. It’s not like I’m dying to move again or anything. In fact, I cringe at the thought. But hopefully this time it will be for a good cause and we won’t have to move ever again (or for a really long time).
- I decided to read The Thorn Birds. In my continuing quest for the perfect summer book — the type I used to read in high school: a little trashy, really long, not too taxing — I think this might be a winner. The Valley of the Dolls was disappointing, but maybe it’s just because I wasn’t laying next to a pool with a sparkling drink in my hand. I’m totally in the mood for giant soap-opera novel and so far, The Thorn Birds is delivering. (no, I never saw the mini-series, but I will totally have to watch it if I like the book.)
- I’m also being seized with this desire to re-read The Clan of the Cave Bear. I remember when my mom was reading this — we were completely fascinated by the idea of this story and would ask for updates as she read. I think she left out, um, a few parts. Still, Cro-Magnon-style trashiness aside, the story is kind of interesting. Or maybe I would hate it now. Anyone re-read this recently?
- I’m doing a mild detox diet (I do these every few months). Basically, it’s just fruits, veggies, rice, and a few other things like some beans and some nuts. Plus some supplements, minus sugar, caffeine, and certain foods like wheat and dairy. This time it’s for three weeks, but I’ll be taking a break while I’m in Oregon. It’s going just fine. I don’t even miss the caffeine (I have maybe one cup of caffeinated tea a day). I don’t even miss the sugar this time, which is worth noting. I wonder why not? When I get back, I’ll be taking the “liver cleanse” supplements so things might get more… interesting. Let’s hope not. Actually I could eat like this most of the time without too much effort, so I keep hoping that the more I do the ‘detox,’ the more it will just become my normal way of eating.
- I’m taking a Back Care Yoga class once a week. I’ve done two so far, and I love it. However, apparently I really do need to be doing this since yesterday my upper back had a MAJOR freakout. It’s better today but yesterday was no fun. So, yeah. Apparently I need to do some strengthening.
- We’ve been watching more of that art series and also that new Bravo show, Work of Art. Even though it’s just a reality show, it’s kind of inspiring to see how people process things. I’m enjoying having more brain-space to work on creative stuff.
Yep, that’s about it. Although I hate to even think about moving, I can’t wait to have a backyard or patio or whatever, where we can set up some comfy lounge chairs and I can lay in the sun (well, under a shade umbrella or something) and read trashy summer novels and drink iced tea. I can’t wait for that part.