List Two: Things I Want To Do In The Next Five Years
Again stolen from the apparently defenseless (because I keep stealing from her) Tammie:
I bring you… a giant list of random things I would like to do in the next five years. I’m too lazy to do one of those Life List thingies so this will have to suffice.
1. Buy a house. Currently working on this one.
2. Have some chickens. See #1.
3. Have a dog. Or two. Also see #1.
4. Have a decent garden. Again I refer you to numero uno.
5. Be involved in a child’s life. I would say, “Have a baby” but frankly I don’t know if this is in the cards, and also? It looks like a lot of work. So let’s just say that I/we would like to be rather involved in a child’s life. Maybe this is our own. Maybe it’s a foster child. Maybe it’s a Little Sister. Maybe it’s a neighbor kid. But something.
6. Have an art show. As previously stated, this does not need to be anything fancy. One piece up at a coffeeshop would do the trick. Also currently working on this, but has been put on back burner while #1 gets worked on.
7. Finish my summer quilt.
8. Read 100 books in a year. But I think I only need to do this one once. I’m pretty happy in the 60-80 range.
9. Figure out how to wear all my beautiful vintage jewelry. Thank god Mad Men has brought 60s style back.
10. Choose an interesting academic subject and start working on it. I’ve done so much schooling in sciences, and it got me nowhere (except a bit smarter), so now I’m ready to learn some fun stuff.
11. Travel overseas again. The next five years includes my 40th birthday (no, really. that was shocking to me too. it’s at the tag end of 5 years but still.) so let’s say maybe there could be a trip planned for this milestone.
12. Go to Yosemite.
13. Find or develop the perfect gluten-free brownie recipe.
14. Have my closet organized by color/season. First I need a closet bigger than a breadbox. And also a light in the closet would help. See #1.
15. Go to Cowgirl Creamery out at Point Reyes and spend too much money on really good cheese. This one won’t be too difficult.
16. I have a crazy idea to run another marathon. By “run” I mean mostly-walk. I’m wondering if my friend Miss Erin would be interested in doing this with me…
17. Sew something that requires more than straight seams. A skirt, perhaps? Oh wait, that’s mostly just straight seams. Well then, how about: an article of clothing.
18. Investigate what it would take to buy a small (very small) vacation cottage at the beach or a lake sometime in the next 10-15 years. Long-range plans, here. First we should probably accomplish #1. It’s alllll coming back to #1.
19. Develop a book proposal, or write/photograph a local travel article. Either of these are both alluring and yet relatively far-fetched. But not *that* far-fetched. I keep getting closer to this, and then I get all distracted by things like #1.
20. Start a support group for couples dealing with chronic illness. I’m really surprised there are not more of these out there. Or at least, I haven’t found them.
That seems like a good list to start with. Now, if only I could remember it…